Monday, April 30, 2012

Hans Deli


My apologies, I know it has been over a week since I posted last but we all know how time gets away from us when we are busy. Today's blog is about Hans Deli in New City on Jihaeng Ro. By train, get off at Jihaeng station and go out Exit 1,cross the street to where Dunkin Donuts is on the corner and walk down the street until you see the big green Hans Deli Sign, you have to look up but you can't miss it. It is almost all the way to the end of the block. Driving is pretty much the same since we always park at the train station and walk anyway.

Just before you see the deli you will see this entrance into the building, head on down the hallway to the elevators and take it to the 2nd floor.









Some advertising in the elevator, we were kind of surprised at what they were advertising since we were expecting a "Deli"
 The hall is kind of H shaped, from the elevator walk out and to the right straight ahead, again you can't miss the big green sign! Totally off the subject of food, but right next to the restaurant is a really nice hair salon!


Another advertising banner outside the restaurant. Looks good, but still not what we were expecting for a deli.
















 From the entrance the place looks pretty spacious, I thought it looked similar to a subway.
Wall with a built in bench for those of us that have large groups! Perfect for us!
 Tables overlooking the street
It is more of a self serve style, with the soda fountain as well as the sides like pickled radish as well as utensils and napkins, which are hidden there behind the tree. Also you place your order at the counter and pay for it and they bring it out to you rather than having someone come to your table to take your order.
I think they need to make a trip stateside and go to a real delicatessen LOL!










 The menu consists of mostly the same thing all other restaurants here in Korea have, Cutlets, Steaks, Rice and Pasta dishes. Kind of a disappointment when you are expecting American Deli style foods. The food is good and reasonably priced so it wasn't a total let down. My youngest daughter had one of the pork cutlets. My friend tried the Fish Cutlet and her son tried the Teriyaki Chicken Steak on the bottom half of the page.
 They did have a nice selection of different dishes, and with everyone we had with us we all tried something different from the menu.
 Special's insert in the menu. I had the "Crazy Enchiladas" on the top right corner of the page there.
 The rice and sizzler fried rice dishes looked pretty good, I had a hard time picking between one of these and the crazy enchiladas I ordered.
 My older daughter ordered the Corn Cheese Bacon Dorin, it was like a creamy risotto style dish. We also ordered 1 of each of the chicken baskets for the kids.
 My son had to have one of these juices so we tried the mango sjora.

They have a pretty full menu, so it will probably be hard for you to make a decision.


















 The mango juice, it was pretty tasty until you get to the bottom of the glass it was pretty watered down from all the ice.
Their pickled radish had more of a salty flavor than a sweet like I was used to, it was good but wasn't expecting the saltiness.
 The Fish Cutlet came with two fairly large pieces of fish, they were very crispy and delicious. For sure something I would order again.
The Teriyaki Chicken Steak, I didn't get a taste of it but he said it was good. Looks good.
 This is what is on the menu as Meat Chicken Balls, they were like popcorn chicken and very tasty.
 This is the Chicken Tender basket that I got for my son, they were a little on the spicy side. Not really spicy but they had some kick to them. he ended up eating more of the fries and Chicken Balls than the tenders.
 Pork Cutlet for my daughter, it was pretty huge and crispy and delicious.
The Crazy Enchiladas that I ordered, I have to say I was kind of disappointed. I was expecting a Mexican flavor with the name of the dish and the looks of it.  It was actually meatballs in a spaghetti sauce topped with cheese and tortilla strips. It was good, but not what I expected for the name of the dish.
The Corn Cheese Bacon Dorin was very creamy and delicious. It reminded me of more of a risotto dish than a rice dish. It is something I would order again.








 My total with the pork cutlet, corn cheese bacon dish, crazy enchiladas, chicken balls, chicken tenders, mango juice and 3 sodas was 27,100krw (about $24) That fed 5 of us.
My friend paid for the fish cutlet, teriyaki chicken, crazy enchilada and 3 sodas, her total was 17,700krw (about $13.) She fed 3 people.














It wasn't what we were expecting for a deli, but the food was very delicious. The staff was very nice and spoke enough english to know what we were wanting or needing. As we were leaving a gentleman that worked there followed us out and was talking to us while we were waiting for the elevator. He was telling us that it was under new management and that he was the new manager. He had seen me taking pictures and asked about it pointing to my camera. We explained to him it was for a blog, he knew exactly what we were talking about and laughed. He told us "Next time you come, I take care of you good" It is nice to feel welcome in places here in Korea. I still have yet to run into a rude Korean.
If you are looking for someplace with a quiet atmosphere to just have lunch with a friend it is perfect. It is family and kid friendly as well. Definitely someplace to check out before you leave Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment