Thursday, March 29, 2012

Uncle Tomato

This week was a place called Uncle Tomato in the Dongducheon/Camp Casey area. I had heard people talk about it and was interested in finding out what it was all about since here in Korea, you can't judge something just by the name of it.

Directions are fairly easy if you know your way around New City, but if you don't I am going to try and be very specific so anyone can find it. Trust me, it is worth finding!
Train directions: Get off at Jihaeng and go out the back of the train station and cross the street to the corner where Dunkin Donuts is, continue walking down along Jihaeng Ro, towards Baskin Robbins, half way down there is a cut through between the buildings to the left, take it. Follow it to the end where you should be standing in front of Two Two Chicken. Go right and cross the street, you should see a tiny 7-11, the doorway right next to the 7-11 is where you want to be. Go down the hallway and take the elevator to the 2nd floor.

The entrance is very inviting with it's cozy country style charm, and it just gets better from there.










We were really in awe at just how cute and cozy the place was with its pink and green color scheme and country style flair. The tables were all set with pink plates and water goblets that take more than 2 sips to empty unlike most restaurants here in Korea where you get a tiny metal cup to drink from.

























Now onto the goodies! The menu was HUGE, they had so much to choose from I literally flipped through it over a dozen times trying to decide what I wanted. They have everything from pizza to steak. Everything was very reasonably priced, although I think steaks here in Korea are way over priced. Here they were about average for any restaurant.

 This is the set menu (obviously) which here in Korea will feed more than one person. It is ordered and shared. Not sure what the Junior part is because there was nothing junior in this menu.

 This lunch menu was under the glass on the table top, I did notice that these choices were not in the regular menu.
 We ordered Cheese sticks and fried potatoes for the kids. Both were very delicious. The cheese sticks were served with a small cup of ketchup and honey mustard, just like you see in the picture.
 The Lunch menu, all these are on the regular menu as well but these were a little cheaper. One of my friends ordered the Tortilla Pepperoni "Pizza". It was a flour tortilla topped with sauce and cheese, with pepperoni and a piece of pineapple on top of the pepperoni. You can't tell from the picture on the menu but it also had small onions on it. She said it was very tasty even though shes not fond of onions.


































The rice menu-Another friend ordered the Bacon Pepper Earthenware Bowl Risotto. It was very creamy and had a really good flavor. Big chunks of bacon and pepperoni throughout the dish.




Sorry for the blur, I was kind of rushed taking this one because they were bringing out the kids food and they needed a place to set it down.

































The different pizzas they serve. We almost tried the Gorgonzola pizza, but ended up ordering something else..next time! And there for sure will be a next time.



More pizzas and pork cutlets. I was tempted to go for the old fall back and get the cutlet, which is what I usually get when we go out to eat, but I wanted to try something new, so these are going on the "next time" list as well.
I ended up getting the Duckgalbi and Sausage Steak. The Duckgalbi was delicious the sausage steak was pretty good too but had a weird texture.
As I said the steaks were kind of pricey like most steaks here in Korea, but it is the price you would pay at a good steak house back in the states.
 I am wanting to try the Chicken Bacon Cream Sauce to see if it is as good as the sauce I make that my family refers to as "Awesome Sauce"

These all looked so delicious, I almost ordered the Pappardelle, but wasn't in the mood for pasta today.


 As I said before the table was set with pink plates, when they brought out the pickled veggies I had to laugh that they were tinted pink as well.
When they saw we had little ones with us they brought out the plastic ware for them.












I am still amazed that here in Korea, what you order is what you get. The picture that is on the menu is usually what gets set down in front of you. Uncle Tomato was no different, it all looked just like the menu pics right down to the ketchup and mustard cups for the cheese sticks.







This was a Caesar Salad that we ordered and shared, there was enough there to serve 3-4 people. The dressing was more of a sweet dressing instead of a Caesar dressing but it was still good. I must of missed a couple pages in the menu when I was taking pictures because I don't have the page with the salads or with the pasta my daughter ordered.

 Fried Potato for the boys.
This is the pasta my daughter ordered, it was Tomato Alfredo Pasta and it was divine!
 Risotto-enough to share and still take leftovers home.
This had grilled veggies under the Sausage Steak that were done to perfection, not too soggy and not too crispy. Only one piece of broccoli, but I did go in search of another under the sausage steak.
Tortilla Pepperoni the white sauce tasted like it was a sour cream mixed with a sweet milk. It was very interesting but yet yummy at the same time.











I would have to say that Uncle Tomato went above our expectations in every aspect. We all walked out of there full and we all agreed that there wasn't anything that we ordered that we were disappointed with. The atmosphere was very comfortable, the waitress was very attentive and courteous, the food was delivered as it was made so it was all hot and delicious and the prices were very reasonable. In all we ordered 4 orders of cheese sticks, french fries, Caesar Salad, Risotto, Tomato Alfredo Pasta, DuckGalbi and a tortilla pizza. The total for everything was 64,000krw. Not bad at all to feed 6 people.
This is the kind of place that is perfect for a lunch with friends or a dinner date with your hunny. I highly recommend checking it out if you haven't already. I know we will be going again before we leave Korea.

They do have a website, with the entire menu listed in English, it is Uncle Tomato Website. Their pictures of the menu are much better than mine !








4 comments:

  1. Would love to see a review of Isaac's with their complete menu translated to English :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isaac's is the sandwich shop located across the street from Dunkin Donuts in Jihaeng (street level).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to say Thanks for recommending Uncle Tomato. My family and I LOVED it, surpisingly. I have not had Italian that good since I left Austin almost 5 years ago. Thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete